Because the investment in a stone patio is so great and long term, you will want to know how to take proper care of it. Here are a few things you can do:
- Have your patio sealed. It will protect it from the elements, and it will also be a lot easier to clean
- When do a conventional cleaning job, use mild detergents like dish washing liquid. For those areas that are particularly soiled, use a solution of bleach and water. Not too much or you’ll kill the grass
- If your outdoor stone patio is made of limestone, it will be very porous. for this there are special stone cleaners that are designed to be gentle.
- If you’re looking for a green solution, a simply pressure washing will be the thing to get the job done.
- Occasionally if the stone is very old, mineral deposits can form because the stone will chemically react to detergents or even plain water over time. In this case you can and apply some vinegar to the area, the use baking soda applied in a patch with the vinegar. Allow to set for 30 minutes and scrub away
- Don’t use salt to melt ice on your stone patio during winter. It will leave streaks. Rather use sand
Taking a few simply steps like these can add many years to the life of your stone patio.